Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Carter 5lbs 13oz 19 1/2 inches long!!!

Carter arrived 3 weeks early!
(here's why...)
Last Thursday I went into the Labor and Delivery with what I thought was heartburn and maybe a gallbladder problem... and found out I had a rare complication in my pregnancy called HELLP syndrome. The short story is that this syndrome is where the body starts to attack it's own red blood cells and platelets causing elevate liver levels, my platelet count was 28,000 and a normal count would be 150,000- problematic because platelets allow your body to clot and in birth there is bleeding... the only cure for this is delivery, so I underwent an emergency C-section and we now have a beautiful baby boy named Carter Harrison Edwards! The risk was that because of the lack of platelets that the inscision would no be able to stop bleeding on the inside of my body causing a life threatening situation. We both came out of surgery, and although my body did continue to lose blood, platelets and cause dangerous liver levels on day one we rallied and because of 3 blood transfusions, 6 platelet transfusions and the God healing me I am here! (I never knew the importance of giving blood until now!) After 5 days in the hospital we are home and getting healthier by the day, Carter is slightly jaundiced but they set up his light treatment in our home- he's the cutest glowworm around! God was truly protecting our family, and I am still in awe of how he knows the plans for us and that he promises not to fail us but to protect us and give a hope and a future! Thank you for all your prayers and support, knowing that you are there loving us and praying for us means so much!

Here we are one happy family, 3 days at home
Shauna and baby are getting better
& it's our 3rd Anniversary! We couldn't
be more thankful!
(the stylish wrap Carter is wearing is his jaundice light)

Our sweet bright eyed baby boy!


Finally getting to cuddle with Carter!


Carter and I bonding after my 2 days in the ICU!

Nick loves being a dad, and he's
perfect at it already!

Getting to be with Carter for a short time!
The nursery nurse brought him to me in the ICU!

Carter 1 day old, and so so sweet!

The first time I was alert enough to try
and feed him!

Auntie Katy came to hospital to see him on day one before
they headed off to Malibu, I am so thankful for
her friendship!

My first time holding Carter, 5 hours after surgery!
I'm trying so hard to stay alert so I can remember
it- the anesthesia really messes you up


Nick with Carter in the NICU! They were
waiting for me to come out of surgery so they
got some quality bonding time!

Nick and I after making the decision to
have the C-section in order to save me and Carter!
It was definitely a hard couple of hours knowing that
the surgery was so high risk because of
how few platelets I had left, but needing to trust
God because the surgery was our only option!

3 comments:

ryan & janny said...

Shaun.... I had no idea! That was a hard entry to read being all the way over here in South Korea!! How are you??!!! Carter is beautiful!! I love the family pictures of the 3 of you. I can't wait to cuddle Carter!!!

love you sooooo much!! We'll try to call soon and hopefully catch you.
-janny

Les Hon said...

Dear, dear Family Edwards...
It is a joy to see you with your bundle of joy : ) and to praise God with you for all He has brought you through!
Carter is indeed a beautiful boy..SO sweet! Blessings on you all as you begin your parenting adventure...It's the best thing you'll ever do! Enjoy!
Love you much!
Aunt Les

Keith and Meghan said...

Oh my word!!! we got the text message and were so excited for you but wow, had not idea what an ordeal it was. Praise the Lord for keeping you and Carter safe and healthy. He is adorable (I mean was there any way he wouldn't be, he's got some hot parents!). Prayers for your full recovery---take it easy----no going on runs for a while okay :) Enjoy being a mommy, what a wonderful gift! Don't hesitate to call if you need ANYTHING.
Love, Meghan